Feature, 01.09.2012

THALIA THEATRE
Gonçalo Byrne Arquitectos + Barbas Lopes Arquitectos
Lisbon, 2009 – 2012

ThaliaFinalLR_ext11

Photo ©DMF

Built in the outskirts of Lisbon in the 1840s for the Count of Farrobo, a lover of the arts, to host theatre and opera shows as well as wild parties, the Thalia has been in ruins for more than 100 years after a fire in 1862 destroyed most parts of the luxurious architecture. Now Lisbon based architects Gonçalo Byrne Arquitectos & Barbas Lopes Arquitectos reconverted it into a multipurpose space commissioned by the Portuguese Ministry of Education and Science. They covered the remaining walls with a shell of terracotta concrete while the interior remains in its original condition and combining the old and new parts of the building into an urban ensemble with views to the nearby exotic Zoo. The original Latin inscription, “Hic Mores Hominum Castigantur,” was placed once again at the tympanum of the main façade spelling out the motto of Thalia: “Here the deeds of men shall be punished.”

ThaliaTheater

Photos ©DMF

BARBAS LOPES