Specialty tea is still leading a fringe existence on the European continent. But that’s about to change, as P & T sets out from Berlin to spread the word on fine tea in an altogether novel fashion. P & T has made it their mission to make fine teas and tea culture more accessible and rewarding to a broader audience. Nothing like a conventional tea shop, it breaks with the traditional apothecary-like over-the-counter model. Instead, the original presentation system encourages self-directed discovery, sensory experience and dialogue.
Photos by Ludger Paffrath
P & T
Credit: Julia Albani, “Model Produced for the Goethe Salon”, Lisbon, (2012)
On the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the Goethe-Institut in Portugal, Lisbon-based architects Barbas Lopes have been invited to design the Goethe Salon, a pavilion which articulates and celebrates a temporary structure and platform sited in the tropical garden of the Goethe Institute’s central location in the city of Lisbon. The pavilion project was catalyst of the International colloquium this November in the Institut Français and Goethe-Institut in Lisbon with Patrick Bouchain (Paris), Patrícia Barbas + Diogo Lopes (Lisbon), Alex Schweder (NY/Berlin/London), Magnus Nilsson + Ralf Pflugfelder (London/Berlin), Torsten Blume (Leipzig), Tim Simon (Berlin), João Quintela (Madrid/Lisbon) and Julia Albani (Lisbon/Berlin).
Credit: Verner Panton, 1969
As a journey through finest textile art, the exhibition features selected protagonists from the discipline, like Sofie Dawo, who by transgressing the boundaries of the medium’s two-dimensional format, steered the evolution of tapestry towards three-dimensional relief and fine art. The artists Lena Meyer-Bergner and Elisabeth Kadow – both trained at the Bauhaus University in Weimar – are presented with studies on paper for textiles alongside with a homage from Verner Panton to Josef Albers, selected samples by Barbro Nilsson from the notable Swedish weaver Märta-Maas Fjetterström, and a hand-woven wall piece made in the Sixties by Renata Bonfanti. The site specific installation by Frauke Eigen “Friendship-Balls” – or Japanese Temari – further traces a Far East tradition from the 7th Century.
Credits: Frauke Eigen, 2011; Installationsansicht Galerie Hans-Peter Jochum, 2012 | Sofie Dawo, 1973 | Elisabeth Kadow, 1957 | Lena Meyer-Bergner, 1928
Built in the outskirts of Lisbon in the 1840s for the Count of Farrobo, a lover of the arts, to host theatre and opera shows as well as wild parties, the Thalia has been in ruins for more than 100 years after a fire in 1862 destroyed most parts of the luxurious architecture. Now Lisbon based architects Gonçalo Byrne Arquitectos & Barbas Lopes Arquitectos reconverted it into a multipurpose space commissioned by the Portuguese Ministry of Education and Science. They covered the remaining walls with a shell of terracotta concrete while the interior remains in its original condition and combining the old and new parts of the building into an urban ensemble with views to the nearby exotic Zoo. The original Latin inscription, “Hic Mores Hominum Castigantur,” was placed once again at the tympanum of the main façade spelling out the motto of Thalia: “Here the deeds of men shall be punished.”
In the course of summer expeditions, selected artists from the areas of music, performance and other cultural fields experience and revive urban spaces. The dernier cri is the focus of this year’s Sound Development City expeditions – it allows for an independent exploration of themes and modes of expression in the perception of the three cities. The work resulting from this exploration will in part be shown in public. With: Jana Burbach (Zürich, Theater, Performance); Ariel Bustamente (Chile, Public Acoustic Experiments); André Castro (Lissabon/ Amsterdam, Networked Media Design); Donald Deadalus (New York, Art, Sound); D-Fuse (Michael Faulkner/Matthias Kispert – London Sound and Video Art); Maria Guggenbichler (München/ Amsterdam, Art, Ideas, Music, Books); Israel Martinez (Mexiko, Multidisciplinary Art, Electronic Music); Katharina Rohde (Berlin, Architecture, Art, Activism); Steve Rosenthal (London, Visual Art); Evelynn Trouble (Zürich, Music).
Photos © Julian Röder/ OSTKREUZ
SOUND DEVELOPMENT CITY
On the last weekend of June (29. – 30.) in Berlin and the first weekend of July (6. – 7.) in Paris, the fourth edition of Berlin-Paris, a gallery exchange project illuminates the artistic tendencies of the two capital cities by presenting around 60 artists and creating new impetuses through its selection of galleries. One of the new features introduced in this year´s edition is the involvement of artistic interventions organized by the curator collectives The Office and Le Bureau/.
CARLIER | GEBAUER – MARCELLE ALIX
CHERT and MOTTO – CNEAI=
GALERIE CAMPAGNE PREMIÈRE – EMMANUEL HERVÉ
GALERIE ULRICH FIEDLER – JOUSSE ENTREPRISE
GALERIE ZINK – ALMINE RECH GALLERY
KLEMM’S – TORRI
MEHDI CHOUAKRI – GALERIE 1900-2000
Credits: Mark Hagen: Additive Painting #73, 2011 | Pierre Jeanneret Group: Kangoo Sofa, 1960, Courtesy Jousse Entreprise/ Photo Adrien Dirand | Yona Friedman: Architecture without building, Edition CNEAI, 2012 | Jérémie Gindre: Entrance to Cavern, 2012, Courtesy Chert, Berlin | Sophie Nys: Parque do Flamengo, 2012, Courtesy Galerie Emmanueal Hervé.
BERLIN-PARIS, THE OFFICE
Matzoh ball soup, shakshouka, american beef brisket to various patés, homemade desserts and regional jams are the new daily business for Oskar Melzer and Paul Mogg. Serving home-made Jewish American cuisine, Mogg & Melzer Delicatessen brings classic New York food culture to town. Since end of April the deli is opened every day of the week for breakfast, lunch or dinner at the Ehemalige Jüdische Mädchenschule. The food is available to take away or to enjoy indoors sitting on benches made by the Berlin furniture manufacturer Tipla or the Pirkka chairs by the Finnish designer Illmari Tapiovaara.
Photos: Steve Herud
MOGG & MELZER
Credits: Vertreterempfang in Falstaff Rundgang Minister Mozambique 16.03.1978 | Leuchtenbau Leipzig Polytechnik MMM Austellung, 08.05.1974; both images ©Archiv Mende
Double Bound Economies begins with a photo archive from the German Democratic Republic (GDR) by photographer Reinhard Mende. Produced as commissioned works, the photographs dramatize the situation of productions in “Volkseigene Betriebe” and the “Internationale Leipziger Messe” from 1967 to 1990. From the archive, Double Bound Economies moves toward contemporary artistic and spatial positions, historical and theoretical analyses, and the production of a video project. Artists, theorists, scholars, and former participants were invited to view, comment on, or select from the archive. This collective work method resulted in a polyphonic dramatization of the archive while also reporting on a nonlinear approach to the GDR.
Credits: Installationview | Olaf Nicolai, Girlfriends, 2012 | Kiluanji Kia Henda: Karl Marx Luanda, 2006
Following the presentation in Leipzig, Double Bound Economies will be exhibited at the Centre de la Photographie, Geneva (September–October 2012) and at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich (January–February 2013).
HALLE 14 Zentrum für zeitgenössische Kunst Leipziger Baumwollspinnerei
GALERIE HANS-PETER JOCHUM
Furniture by Olivetti, Ugo Sissa, Studio BBPR, Gabetti e Isola, Sottsass, Hans von Klier, Leclerc, Aulenti
13.04. – 09.06.2012
GALERIE ULRICH FIEDLER
Ettore Sottsass | The 1950s
13.04. – 23.06.2012
Exhibition view ETTORE SOTTSASS | OLIVETTI CONNECTION, Hans-Peter Jochum
Architect and Designer Ettore Sottsass has had a long standing, tight working connection with the house of Olivetti, a productive connection that is the focus of two parallel exhibitions: Ettore Sottsass at Ulrich Fiedler, and Olivetti Connection at Hans-Peter Jochum. The show at Ulrich Fiedler Gallery features Ettore Sottsass’ work from the fifties, while Hans-Peter Jochum is exhibiting the Olivetti Connection, a show dedicated to key exponents from the design and architecture archives of the OLIVETTI business empire – objects whose breadth and significance was determined by the likes of Ettore Sottsas, Ugo Sissa, Studio BBPR and Hans von Klier.
Credits: Ugo Sissa, Sofa from Casa Campagnolo, 1942-1943 | Chest Of Drawer by Designer Hans von Klier | Cabinet, Casa Astrua, ca. 1955 | Enamel, produced by Il Sestante-Milan, 1958 | Newspaper rack, Casa Astrua, ca. 1955
GALERIE ULRICH FIEDLER, HANS-PETER JOCHUM
In February 2012, the listed building of the Ehemalige Jüdische Mädchenschule – a former Jewish girls’ school in Auguststrasse in Berlin opened as a space for art and cuisine. Following historically suitable restoration, the building was made available to the public after years of vacancy. The former classrooms and corridors present changing exhibitions by different actors from the art world. Camera Work Contemporary opened a Gallery on the first floor. Michael Fuchs Galerie exhibits works in the former assembly hall on the third floor. He shares the floor with EIGEN + ART Lab, an exhibition format for international artists.
In the former gymnasium, the restaurant Pauly-Saal offers guests regional and seasonal German cuisine during the day and in the evenings – adjoined is the Pauly-Bar. In the private dining rooms, The Kosher Classroom serves three times per week certified kosher cuisine, including a traditional Sabbath dinner. Mogg & Melzer Delicatessen sells homemade pastrami and other meat specialties, as well as products from the Pauly-Saal and The Kosher Classroom – to eat in or to take away.
Photos: Stefan Korte